MegaMune™ is a daily supplement that supports the immune system with some of its most basic, yet vital, functions. It’s ingredients have potent antioxidant properties that aid in diversifying the gut microbiome.
MegaMune contains nourishing herbs with antioxidant properties and key minerals to build a solid foundation for immune support. Ingredients include zinc, selenium, copper, green tea leaf extract, organic pomegranate extract, dried yeast fermentate (Epicor), broccoli seed extract (Truebroc), eldermune elderberry complex, Echinacea purpurea and urophenol cranberry fruit extract.
Form & Function
MegaMune™ is formulated with immune supporting ingredients to help maintain a healthy immune response. Our immune system operates in two ways: the innate and adaptive branches. The innate response requires cellular and humoral responses (natural killer cells and immunoglobulins). Ingredients such as zinc helps with expression of immunoglobulins. Sulforaphanes found in broccoli seed extract (Truebro) support natural killer cells. MegaMune™ supports the adaptive immune system by promoting healthy cell production. This process helps to remove and reduce distractions from the immune system. T regulatory cells are key here. This system must be functioning at a high level to ensure major pathogens are destroyed by the immune system.
The synergistic combination of green tea extract and fruit polyphenols were added to MegaMune™ in order to promote microbial diversity within the powerful gut microbiome. Other ingredients like selenium, sulforaphane, cranberry polyphenols, and pomegranate polyphenols can support the body’s natural detoxification process. A healthy immune system is dictated by the gut microbiome. In fact, the gut is home to about 70% of immune cells and acts as the motherboard of the entire immune system.
Applied Research & Clinical Studies
Selenium possesses antioxidant properties and is known to help maintain healthy immune cell function. It has been shown to be a beneficial adjuvant treatment to reduce hospitalizations and cost of care of immunocompromised patients (2). Daily selenium supplementation can provide indirect improvement of CD4 count (3).
Zinc is known to be capable of stopping the replication of viruses and reducing bacterial growth. It also has immune supportive properties, to include cellular function, and is required for over 200 enzymatic reactions in the human body. Additionally, zinc supplementation has been shown to reduce the incidence of acute lower respiratory infections in children and reduce their length of stay when hospitalized (4,5).
Organic Pomegranate Extract maintains microbial diversity, has antioxidant properties and supports detoxification.
Broccoli Seed Extract (Truebroc) contains a branded form of glucoaphanin that is extracted from broccoli seed. It is made by Brassica Protection Products, an innovator in reacher and development of nutritional ingredients derived from cruciferous vegetables. This product possesses antioxidant properties and supports healthy elimination and Phase II detoxification pathways. Sulforaphane derived from broccoli sprouts increases vitus induced peripheral blood natural killer cell granzyme B production (6).
Green Tea Extract contains a significant amount of polyphenols, specifically EGCG. In animal studies 50mg/kg was found to induce Foxp3 and IL-10 expression in CD4+ T-cells at physiologically relevant concentrations in vitro (7). Green tea extract can modulate the immune system in immune-compromised rats infected with C. albicans through expression augmentation of IL-8, IL-17A, and HBD-2 (11). In human studies, green tea liquid extract led to an irreversible, increased Firmicutes to Bacteroidetes ratio, elevated short chain fatty acids producing genera, and reduction of bacterial lipopolysaccharide synthesis in feces (8). Dietary green tea suppressed lipopolysaccharide + GalN-induced apoptosis of liver cells and significantly suppressed plasma concentrations of interleukin (IL)-1beta, IL-2, IL-4, IL-6, IL-10 and interferon (IFN)-gamma (9). Meaning there was a reduction in lipopolysaccharide concentrations and reduced liver damage. Green tea extract has also been found to significantly increase Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus spp.which improves microbial diversity (10).
Urophenol Cranberry Extract is a highly purified whole cranberry fruit extract that is sustainably sourced in North America and processed in Diana Food’s GMP facility. Daily consumption of a standardized dose in women has shown to be beneficial in reducing the frequency of urinary tract infections (12). Generally speaking, cranberry extract enhances abundance of Akkermansia muciniphila and improves high-fat, high-sugar diet-induced features of the metabolic syndrome (13).
Echinacea purpurea have long been known to improve symptoms, duration and prevention of common cold compared to placebo (16). Echinacea supplementation led to high T cell proliferation in spleen, increased percentages of CD49+ and CD19+ lymphocytes in spleen, increased natural killer cell cytotoxicity, increased interferon-alpha, and reduced TNFa and IL-1B (15). Echinacea also reduces mucin secretions, protects lung tissue by preserving cell viability and cilia, and reduces production of proinflammatory cytokines IL-6 and IL-8. May improve natural killer cell activity and phagocytic activity of macrophages. In vitro studies show that echinacea exerts bactericidal activity against Streptococcus, Staphylococcus aureus, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Propionibacterium acnes, Clostridium difficile, and Candida albicans (17). 200mg of Echinacea purpurea per day promotes HPV viral clearance and reduces relapse of genital condylomatosis (14).
EpiCor Yeast Fermentate is a revolutionary postbiotic, or fermentation by product of saccharomyces cerevisiae. It contains antioxidant properties and supports a balanced immune function. This product is created by Embria Health Sciences who is dedicated to creating and manufacturing natural, science based products that support wellness. Daily consumption of 500mg of EpiCor® supported the health of red blood cells and mucosal immune protection (18). Taking 500mg daily of EpiCor significantly reduces cold and flu symptoms and significantly shortens duration of symptoms when compared with taking a placebo (19,20). Additionally, EpiCor reduces nasal congestion severity and duration, runny nose severity, rescues medication usage, mean eosinophil percentage, and allergy-producing lymphocytes. Epicor® also resulted in increased levels of salivary sIgA (21).
Eldermune Elderberry Complex is full of antioxidant properties. It consists of elderberry juice concentrate and a partially hydrolyzed guar fiber (prebiotic) shown to support healthy digestion, immune function and a healthy microbiome. Eldermune was developed by NutraScience who has 50+ years of combined experience in producing and developing high quality dietary supplement formulas.
- Urinary tract infections
- Common cold and flu symptoms
Advantages of MegaMune™
MegaMune™ provides comprehensive immune modulation and support that improves immune function on the cellular level and within the microbiome to support a solid immune foundation. It contains a revolutionary product called a postbiotic that contains tremendous immune supportive properties. Taking MegaMune™ daily improves immune response, repairs damaged tissue and supports microbial diversity. MegaMune keeps your body’s immune system strong any time of year!
Additionally it is part of an immune suite of products (Total Immune Support: Megacidin, MegaMune and Megaviron) that are designed to improve immune function.
Ages 12+: Take 3 capsules daily with or without food, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner. Children under 12 years of age, please consult with your healthcare practitioner.
There are no known contraindications for use of MegaMune.
- Burbano X, et al. Impact of a selenium chemoprevention clinical trial on hospital admissions of HIV-infected participants. HIV Clin Trials. 2002;3(6):483-491.
- Hurwitz BE, et al. Suppression of human immune-deficiency virus type 1 viral load with selenium supplementation: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med. 2007;167(2):148-154.
- Rerksuppaphol S, et al. A randomized controlled trial of zinc supplementation in the treatment of acute respiratory tract infection in Thai children. Pediatr Rep. 2019;11(2):7954.
- Rerksuppaphol S, et al. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Zinc Supplementation as Adjuvant Therapy for Dengue Viral Infection in Thai Children. Int J Prev Med. 2018;9:88.
- Müller, et al. Effect of Broccoli Sprouts and Live Attenuated Influenza Virus on Peripheral Blood Natural Killer Cells: A Randomized, Double-Blind Study. PLoS One. 2016; 11(1).
- Wong CP, et al. Induction of regulatory T cells by green tea polyphenol EGCG. Immunol Lett. 2011;139(1-2):7-13.
- Yuan X, Long Y, Ji Z, et al. Green Tea Liquid Consumption Alters the Human Intestinal and Oral Microbiome. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2018;62(12):e1800178.
- He P, Noda Y, Sugiyama K. Green tea suppresses lipopolysaccharide-induced liver injury in d-galactosamine-sensitized rats. J Nutr. 2001 May;131(5):1560-7.
- Jung, et al. Seven-day Green Tea Supplementation Revamps Gut Microbiome and Caecum/Skin Metabolome in Mice from Stress. Scientific Reports. 2019; 9:18418
- Rahayu RP, et al. The immunomodulatory effect of green tea (Camellia sinensis) leaves extract on immunocompromised Wistar rats infected by Candida albicans. Vet World. 2018;11(6):765-770.
- LeBlanc, et al. Standardized High Versus Low Dose Cranberry Proanthocyanidin Extracts for Prevention of Urinary Tract Infection Confirmed by Pyuria in Women: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020; 4(2): 423
- Anhê FF, et al. A polyphenol-rich cranberry extract protects from diet-induced obesity, insulin resistance and intestinal inflammation in association with increased Akkermansia spp. Population in the gut microbiota of mice. Gut 2015;64:872–83.
- De Rosa N, et al. Effect of Immunomodulatory Supplements Based on Echinacea Angustifolia and Echinacea Purpurea on the Posttreatment Relapse Incidence of Genital Condylomatosis: A Prospective Randomized Study. Biomed Res Int. 2019;2019:3548396.
- Zhai Z, et al. Enhancement of innate and adaptive immune functions by multiple Echinacea species. J Med Food. 2007 Sep;10(3):423-34.
- Karsch-Völk, et al. Echinacea for preventing and treating the common cold. Cochrane Reviews. 2014.
- Hudson JB. Applications of the phytomedicine Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower) in infectious diseases. J Biomed Biotechnol.2012;2012:769896.
- Jensen GS, et al. Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled, Randomized Pilot Study: Consumption of a High-Metabolite Immunogen from Yeast Culture has Beneficial Effects on Erythrocyte Health and Mucosal Immune Protection in Healthy Subjects. The Open Nutrition
- Moyad, et al. Effects of a modified yeast supplement on cold/flu symptoms. Urol Nurs 2008, 28 (1), 50-5.
- Moyad, et al. Immunogenic yeast-based fermentate for cold/flu-like symptoms in nonvaccinated individuals. J Altern Complement Med. 2010, 16 (2), 213-8.
- Moyad MA, et al. Immunogenic yeast-based fermentation product reduces allergic rhinitis-induced nasal congestion: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Adv Ther. 2009;26(8):795-804.
- Zheng, D., Liwinski, T. & Elinav, E. Interaction between microbiota and immunity in health and disease. Cell Res 30, 492–506 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41422-020-0332-7