MegaViron™ is a leading edge immune supplement formulated with potent herbs packed full of antioxidant properties for seasonal immune support. MegaViron™ provides a short-term burst of powerful immune support.
The herbal ingredients in MegaViron™ work together to support a healthy immune response. These calming ingredients include: N-acteyl-cysteine (NAC), zinc, curcumin, Quercetin, sea buckthorn polyphenols, Boswellia serrata, Chinese skullcap, Tinospora cordifolia, Andrographis paniculata, Olive leaf extract, ginseng, stinging nettle root and Reishi beta-glucans.
MegaViron™ Form & Function
Our immune system operates in two ways: the innate and adaptive branches. The innate response requires cellular and humoral responses (natural killer cells and immunoglobulins). Ingredients such as zinc helps with expression of immunoglobulins. MegaViron supports the adaptive immune system by promoting healthy cell production. This process helps to remove and reduce distractions from the immune system. T regulatory cells are key here. This system must be functioning at a high level to ensure major pathogens are destroyed by the immune system. A healthy immune system is dictated by the gut microbiome. In fact, the gut is home to about 70% of immune cells and acts as the motherboard of the entire immune system.
Applied Research & Clinical Studies
MegaViron contains a powerful collection of herbs all with significant research to support their use. Here is a sneak peek at some of it:
- N-acetylcysteine significantly reduced the incidence of clinically apparent disease of A/H1N1 virus influenza infection in humans (2).
- Zinc supplementation reduced incidence of acute lower respiratory infection dengue viral infection duration in children and reduced the length of hospital stay (3, 4).
- Curcumin inhibits viral entry, DNA replication, and gene expression of a number of important viral enzymes such as protease and integrase, which are necessary for viral proliferation. Curcumin also disturbs the viral envelope and impairs viral binding to plasma membranes, limiting viral entry and cell-to-cell spread (7,9).
- It’s been shown to inhibit the NLRP3 inflammasome by preventing K+ efflux in vitro, reduced IL-1β secretion, caspase-1 activation, and prevented high-fat diet-induced insulin resistance in vivo (5).
- 12-week supplementation with curcumin increases the expression of c-FLIPL and c-FLIPs in patients with HTLV-1 which may improve apoptosis of virally infected cells (6).
- Curcumin reduces severity of the flu in mice, reduces lung damage and impairs NF-kb pathways and inflammatory cytokine production (8).
- Quercetin significantly reduced URTI incidence via Natural killer cell activity (NKCA), PHA-stimulated lymphocyte proliferation (PHA-LP), polymorphonuclear oxidative-burst activity (POBA), and salivary IgA output (sIgA) (10). Quercetin did not affect liver enzymes, but reduced viral load in some patients (i.e. ‘responders’) with Hepatitis C (11)
- Sea buckthorn berries have a reductive effect on CRP, a marker of inflammation (13) likely due to being effective at quenching free radicals (15). Supplementation of sea buckthorn capsules for 90 days significantly increased in SOD (Superoxide Dismutase) by 11% and GSH (Glutathione) by 4%. There was a significant reduction in MDA (Malondialdehyde) by 15% (14). It also provides selective mobilization of stem cell types involved in regenerative and reparative functions (12)
- Baicalin, the active compound in Chinese skullcap, may promote Treg cell differentiation and regulatory activity and may serve as a promising natural immune-suppressive compound for treating autoimmune inflammatory diseases (16)
- T. cordifolia significantly decreases all symptoms of allergic rhinitis (18). It increases lysozyme activity of macrophages which leads to bacteriocidal impacts against E. coli (19). T. cordifolia activated natural killer (NK) cells, T cells, and B cells; enhanced the synthesis of IL-1β, IL-6, IL-12 p70, IL-12 p40, IL-18, IFN- γ, TNF-α and MCP-1 (20)
- Boswellia serrata significantly improved symptoms of bronchial asthma (21). An active compound called AKBA inhibits NF-kB pathway and showed the ability to influence the regulatory and effector T-cell compartments (22). Boswellic increases lymphocyte proliferation and phagocytosis, iInhibits activation of NF-kB, down-regulates TNFa, and decreases levels of IL-1, IL-2, IL-4, IL-6 and IFN gamma (23).
- Andrographolide/Andrographis is effective in reducing symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection (27). It exhibits immunomodulatory effects by effectively enhancing cytotoxic T cells, natural killer cells, phagocytosis, and antibody-dependent cell- mediated cytotoxicity (24). Andrographis administration inhibited viral adsorption onto red blood cells, directly interfered with viral hemagglutinin, and blocked binding to cellular receptors (25).
- Stinging nettle induces cytokine production through a specific pattern of T-lymphocyte activity and seems to have anti-viral qualities. In vitro experiments with human cells show it blocking the actions of HIV, cytomegalovirus, respiratory syncytial virus and influenza A virus. Nettle polysaccharides appear to stimulate tumor necrosis factor and T-lymphocyte activity, aiding immune system response (30). Additionally, stinging nettle increases CD4+ and CD8+ lymphocytes in the thymus, increases CD4+ cells, monocytes, and total T lymphocytes in the blood, and promotes differentiation of CD4− CD8− T lymphocytes toward CD4+ CD8+ T lymphocytes (28). It likely inhibits SARS-CoV infection by targeting early stages of the replication cycle, namely, adsorption or penetration (29).
- Olive leaf extract reduces duration, but not frequency, of respiratory illness in high school athletes (31). It has been shown to increase IFN-γ production, which is associated to higher CD8+ and natural killer cell populations. Olive leaf extract promotes equilibrium between T regulatory cells and Th17 cells as evidenced by unmodified levels of interleukin (IL)-IL-10 and IL-17, respectively (32). Olive leaf extract could be used as a potential source of promising natural antivirals, or used to design other related antiviral agents (33).
- Ginseng supplementation is safe, well tolerated. It has the following exhibits immunostimulatory effects:
- effective for preventing acute respiratory infection due to influenza and RSV (34).
- enhances phagocytic activity of macrophages and natural killer cell functions
- increases production of nitric oxide
- induces antigen-specific IgM, IgG, and IgA antibody responses when administered orally or intraperitoneally
- significantly enhances serum specific IgG, IgG1, IgG2a and IgG2b responses to H3N2 influenza virus
- promotes the generation of immunosuppressive regulatory T cells (Tregs) through the activation of transcription factor, FoxP3 (35).
- Reishi beta-glucans supplementation stimulates cellular and humoral immune reaction resulting in lower viral load (38). Daily supplementation significantly reduces psychological stress scores and lowers the incidence of upper respiratory tract infections (36, 37)
- Common cold and flu symptoms
- Digestive tract infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Sneezing, nasal discharge, nasal obstruction, nasal pruritus, eosinophil and neutrophil count
- Muscle pain, cough, throat symptoms, headache, nasal symptoms, eye symptoms (26)
- Symptoms of cough, expectoration, nasal discharge, headache, fever, sore throat, earache, malaise/fatigue and sleep disturbance (27)
- Frequency and duration of respiratory illness (31)
- Viral protein accumulation, cell to cell adhesion (33)
- URTI symptoms including headache, tiredness, weakness, fatigue, nasal congestions, sneezing, coughing, sore throat
Advantages of MegaViron™
MegaViron is a triple action, innovative immune formula designed to support a healthy immune system and maintain balance whenever you need it the most. Take control of your health and gain peace of mind with this unique, comprehensive immune support formula. MegaViron keeps your body’s immune system strong any time of year!
Additionally it is part of an immune suite of products (Total Immune Support: Megacidin, MegaMune and MegaViron) that are designed to improve immune function.
Ages 12+: Take 3 capsules twice daily with a meal and continue taking every day for 15 days or until supply runs out. Children under 12 years of age, please consult with your healthcare practitioner.
There are no known contraindications for use of MegaViron.
- De Flora S, et al Attenuation of influenza-like symptomatology and improvement of cell-mediated immunity with long-term N-acetylcysteine treatment. Eur Respir J.1997;10(7):1535-1541.
- Rerksuppaphol S, et al. A randomized controlled trial of zinc supplementation in the treatment of acute respiratory tract infection in Thai children. Pediatr Rep. 2019;11(2):7954.
- Rerksuppaphol S, et al. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Zinc Supplementation as Adjuvant Therapy for Dengue Viral Infection in Thai Children. Int J Prev Med. 2018;9:88.
- Yin H. Curcumin Suppresses IL-1β Secretion and Prevents Inflammation through Inhibition of the NLRP3 Inflammasome. The Journal of Immunology. 2018;200(8):2835-2846.
- Poursina Z, et al. Curcumin increased the expression of c- FLIP in HTLV-1-associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP) patients. J Cell Biochem. 2019;120(9):15740-15745.
- Mounce BC, et al. Curcumin inhibits Zika and chikungunya virus infection by inhibiting cell binding. Antiviral Res. 2017 Jun;142:148-157.
- Han S, Xu J, Guo X, Huang M. Curcumin ameliorates severe influenza pneumonia via attenuating lung injury and regulating macrophage cytokines production. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2018;45(1):84-93.
- Praditya D, et al. Anti-infective Properties of the Golden Spice Curcumin. Front Microbiol. 2019;10:912.
- Nieman D, et al. Quercetin Reduces Illness but Not Immune Perturbations after Intensive Exercise. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2007; 39(9), 1561–1569.
- Lu NT, et al. A Phase I Dose Escalation Study Demonstrates Quercetin Safety and Explores Potential for Bioflavo noid Antivirals in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis C. Phytother Res. 2016;30(1):160-168.
- Drapeau C, et al. Rapid and selective mobilization of specific stem cell types after consumption of a polyphenol- rich extract from sea buckthorn berries (Hippophae) in healthy human subjects. Clin Interv Aging. 2019;14:253-263.
- Larmo P. Effects of sea buckthorn berries on infections and inflammation: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2007;62(9):1123-1130.
- Zou Y, et al. Seabuckthorn anthocyanin soft capsule antioxidant testing for humans.The Global Seabuckthorn Research and Development.2010; 8(3):7-10
- Fan, J, et al. Comparison of antioxidant activity of proanthocyanidins from seed of sea buckthorn and grape. FOOD & MACHINERY. 2007; 23(2):26-30
- Yang, et al. Baicalin, a natural compound, promotes regulatory T cell differentiation. MC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2012, 12:64
- Li BQ, et al. Flavonoid Baicalin Inhibits HIV-1 Infection at the Level of Viral Entry. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications.2000;276(2):534-538.
- Badar, et al. Efficacy of Tinospora cordifolia in allergic rhinitis. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2015; 96(3):445–449.
- More, at al.Immunomodulatory effects of Tinospora cordifolia (Guduchi) on macrophage activation. Biology and Medicine. 2011; 3 (2): 134-140.
- Nair PK, Rodriguez S,Ramachandran R, et al. Immune stimulating properties of a novel polysaccharide from the medicinal plant Tinospora cordifolia. Int Immunopharmacol.2004;4(13):1645-1659.
- Gupta I, Gupta V, Parihar A, et al. Effects of Boswellia serrata gum resin in patients with bronchial asthma: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled, 6-week clinical study. Eur J Med Res.1998;3(11):511-514.
- Beghelli D, Isani G, Roncada P, et al. Antioxidant and Ex Vivo Immune System Regulatory Properties of Boswellia serrata Extracts. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2017;2017:7468064.
- Ammon HP. Modulation of the immune system by Boswellia serrata extracts and boswellic acids. Phytomedicine. 2010 Sep;17(11):862-7.
- Gupta S, et al. Broad-spectrum antiviral properties of andrographolide. Arch Virol. 2017 Mar;162(3):611-623.
- Chen JX, et al. Activity of andrographolide and its derivatives against influenza virus in vivo and in vitro. Biol Pharm Bull. 2009 Aug;32(8):1385-91
- Melchior J. Double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot and phase III study of activity of standardized Andrographis paniculata Herba Nees extract fixed combination (Kan jang) in the treatment of uncomplicated upper-respiratory tract infection. Phytomedicine. 2000; 7(5):341-50
- Saxena RC, et al. A randomized double-blind placebo controlled clinical evaluation of extract of Andrographis paniculata (KalmCold) in patients with uncomplicated upper respiratory tract infection. Phytomedicine. 2010; 17(3- 4):178-85.
- Herrera, et al. Effects of extract of Urtica dioica L. (stinging nettle) on the immune response of rats with severe malnutrition. JOURNAL OF COMPLEMENTARY MEDICINE RESEARCH, 2018 VOL 9, NO. 2, PAGE 63–73 10.5455/jcmr.20180508052039
- Kumaki Y, et al. Inhibition of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus replication in a lethal SARS-CoV BALB/c mouse model by stinging nettle lectin, Urtica dioica agglutinin. Antiviral Res. 2011;90(1):22-32.
- Yarnell, Eric. Stinging Nettle: A Modern View of an Ancient Healing Plant Alternative & Complementary Therapies. 1999.
- Somerville V, et al. The Effect of Olive Leaf Extract on Upper Respiratory Illness in High School Athletes: A Randomised Control Trial. Nutrients. 2019;11(2):358.
- Magrone T, et al. Olive Leaf Extracts Act as Modulators of the Human Immune Response. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2018;18(1):85-93.
- Micol V, et al. The olive leaf extract exhibits antiviral activity against viral haemorrhagic septicaemia rhabdovirus (VHSV). Antiviral Res. 2005;66(2-3):129-136.
- McElhaney JE, et al. A placebo- controlled trial of a proprietary extract of North American ginseng (CVT-E002) to prevent acute respiratory illness in institutionalized older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004;52(1):13-19.
- Kang S, Min H. Ginseng, the ‘Immunity Boost’: The Effects of Panax ginseng on Immune System. J Ginseng Res.2012;36(4):354-368.
- Chang et al. Immulink MBG Reduced Health Challenges in High Physical and Psychological Stress Subjects – A Randomized, Double-blinded, Placebo-controlled Clinical Study. 2012.Unpublished manuscript.
- Chen et al. Mushroom β-glucan Supplement Reduces Upper Respiratory Infections and Improves Quality of Life in Healthy Volunteers with High Lifestyle Stress. 2013. Unpublished manuscript.
- Vetvicka V, Vetvickova J. Glucan supplementation enhances the immune response against an influenza challenge in mice. Ann Transl Med. 2015;3(2):22.