This introductory post outlines the basics of the Total Gut Restoration Trio protocol. Including the ingredients in each product; roles and benefits each product plays in gut restoration and recommendations to use for complete synergy for total gut health restoration.
What is Total Gut Restoration?
A healthy gut microbiome is dependent on three fundamental aspects: a diverse microbial population, strong physical structures, and proper immune function. Only addressing one aspect is ineffective and will contribute to continued gastrointestinal distress. Addressing all three aspects results in a gut that is improved in function and relief of pesky gastrointestinal concerns. How can such success be achieved? By the 3R’s: Recondition, Reinforce and Rebuild.
The Total Gut Restoration Trio encompasses these three concepts and includes three products to achieve each: MegaSporeBiotic, MegaPre and MegaMucosa. These products were developed to effectively restore a healthy gut microbiome. Using these three products synergistically will recondition, reinforce, and rebuild your microbiome resulting in several beneficial outcomes in addition to gut health. Here’s how:
First in the Total Gut Restoration Trio is MegaSporeBiotic, which reconditions the gut by increasing the microbial diversity and encouraging growth of health-promoting commensal gut bacteria. It is clinically shown to improve leaky gut 30 days. MegaSporeBiotic is the first 100% spore based, broad-spectrum probiotic supplement; containing 5 strains of Bacillus (including: Bacillus subtilis HU58, Bacillus clausii SC-109, Bacillus coagulans SC-208, Bacillus indicus HU36, and Bacillus licheniformis SL-307). Additionally, it contains cellulose from acacia wood fiber that acts as a prebiotic for gut bacteria. The five (5) spores and cellulose are encapsulated in a vegetarian capsule made of cellulose from pine trees and water. MegaSporeBiotic has a shelf life of 5 years and provides the full spectrum of B vitamins.
Second is a cutting-edge Precision Prebiotic, MegaPre (formerly MegaPrebiotic) which reinforces the gut microbiome. This occurs through its ability to selectively feed beneficial, keystone bacteria like Akkermansia muciniphila, Faecalibacterium prausnitzii, and Bifidobacterium spp via functional fibers. These fibers are fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) from organic green and gold kiwifruit, xylo-oligosaccharides (XOS) from organic corn cob, and galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS) from lactose, derived from rBST-free cow’s milk. MegaPre is well-tolerated by those with corn and dairy sensitivities. Additionally, MegaPre is a powder lightly sweetened with stevia and monk fruit extracts in an organic mango flavor. It is also available in capsule form!
Third is a complete mucosal support product capable of rebuilding a healthy mucosal barrier by supporting healthy digestion and neutralizing environmental toxins. MegaMucosa is composed of four amino acids (L-proline, L-serine, L-cysteine and L-threonie) that aid in the production of the intestinal mucosa. These amino acids have been shown to support mucin2 (a thick gel like protein) production and maintain mucin synthesis which results in a healthy mucosal barrier. Additionally, MegaMucosa contains dairy-free immunoglobulins and a state-of-the-art flavobiotic, MicrobiomeX®, clinically shown to support microbial diversity and alleviate intestinal barrier dysfunction, otherwise known as leaky gut. MicrobiomeX® is a citrus extract with naturally occurring polyphenols that helps in increasing the short chain fatty acid concentration thus helping to modulate the microbial composition of the gut.
Form & Function
A healthy gut microbiome requires an abundance of beneficial bacteria that limits the overgrowth of unwanted pathogens. Beneficial microbes help sustain the integrity of intestinal barriers by producing short chain fatty acids like butyrate. Butyrate reduces intestinal inflammation and improves intestinal barrier function by maintaining the tight junctions that hold intestinal cells together. When beneficial microbes are outnumbered by potentially harmful bacteria and the body inundated with stress, antibiotics, pathogens, mycotoxins and chemicals, dysbiosis results.
Dysbiosis leads to the degradation of the mucosal barrier and then toxins can inflict damage which produces inflammation. As this process continues gaps will form in the tight junctions of the intestine allowing toxins to enter circulation. This is called leaky gut. Leaky gut is a major common denominator of chronic diseases and it is caused by this inflammatory process. Reversing the dysbiosis and damage to intestinal barrier is paramount to health and wellness.
In a recent study, MegaSporeBiotic and MegaPre consistently enhanced metabolic activity by modulation of the gut microbiome in vitro. When used synergistically these products resulted in a significant increase in short chain fatty acid production and microbial diversity for keystone health promoting bacteria (10).
Studies have shown that shifts in microbiota population with continuous administration of bacillus spores show beneficial effects (11,12). The spores in MegaSporeBiotic shift the microbiota and favor the growth of good bacteria. It does this by:
- Producing a significant number of antibiotics that control bacterial growth (Example: Coagulin, Subtilisin, Amicoumacin, Surfactin, Iturins A, and Bacilysin)
- Competitive exclusion of pathogenic organisms
- Increasing the growth of important gut bacteria commensals, such as lactobacillus
MegaSporeBiotic is also capable of lowering elevated triglyceride levels. A recent study showed that after six weeks of supplementation there was a significant reduction in triglycerides in the probiotic group verse the control. Those with hypertriglyceridemia ended the study with normal serum triglyceride levels (11).
Clinically, this Total Gut Restoration Trio has benefitted the following conditions:
- Crohn’s, IBS, IBD, celiac disease and colitis
- Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease
- Anxiety, depression, and autism
- Minor and major gastrointestinal discomfort – gas, bloating, indigestion
- Acid reflux/GERD
- Antibiotic therapy (before and during)
- Hashimoto’s disease
- Cystic acne, dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis
- Rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and autoimmune disorders
- Allergies, asthma, sinus infections
- Diabetes, obesity, heart disease, hypertension, peripheral artery disease
- Fatty liver disease, metabolic syndrome, PCOS, hypogonadism
- Leaky gut, fatigue, Lyme disease
- Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), Small Intestinal Fungal Overgrowth (SIFO), Candida overgrowth, parasites, UTIs
- Food sensitivities and food allergies
- Clostridium difficile Infection
- Helicobacter pylori infection
- Hepatic encephalopathy
Benefits of Probiotics and Advantages
MegaSporeBiotic is designed to survive the harsh gastric system, colonize, and increase microbial diversity in the gut. It is not contraindicated in individuals with histamine issues. Additionally, MegaSporeBiotic offers functions that go beyond gut health, including:
- Allows for carotenoid production
- Supports the immune system
- Supports metabolic reconditioning
- Crowds out unwanted pathogens
- Increases the production of short-chain fatty acids
MegaPre contains a smaller dose of prebiotic fibers which makes it easier to tolerate and less likely to produce gas and bloating. It also significantly increases short chain fatty acid production and microbial diversity when used with MegaSporeBiotic.
MegaMucosa helps to rebuild the protective intestinal barriers which in turn reduces the toxin and pathogen load on the body as a whole. This reduces the likelihood of other chronic disease processes starting and helps maintain internal stability.
Experience the benefits by trying The Total Gut Restoration Bundle: Click Here for more info!
MegaSporeBiotic reconditions the gut; MegaPre reinforces the gut; and MegaMucosa rebuilds the protective mucosal barrier of the gut. Each of these products positively enhance the beneficial effects of the others. Using these products synergistically will significantly increase microbial diversity and the production of short chain fatty acids in the gut, which are necessary for healthy intestinal barriers and immunity. These products are most effective when used together, hints the title the Total Gut Restoration Trio.
Two (2) capsules per day of MegaSporeBiotic is ideal to stimulate the Peyer’s patches of the intestines and encourage immune modulation. MegaSporeBiotic is most effective when taken with a meal, but it will not cause an upset stomach if taken without food. This product is encapsulated but does not need the capsule to survive digestion. Therefore, MegaSporeBiotic capsules can be pulled apart, and the powder can be mixed into nearly any food or drink, hot or cold, due to its temperature stability. There is no real taste impact of the powder.
After about 21 days of supplementation, the Bacillus strains found in MegaSporeBiotic will begin to reach a steady concentration in the gut. This is when most individuals start to notice benefits. Duration of this supplementation will vary by the individual and symptoms but generally 3-6 months is appropriate. It is important to start slowly when introducing new products. Adults and children 5 years and older: Start with ¼ or ½ capsule with food and slowly increase to 2 capsules per day using the following the protocol:
- Week 1: Take ½ capsule every other day
- Week 2: Take ½ capsule daily
- Week 3: Take 1 capsule daily
- Week 4+: Take 2 capsules daily
If using powder: Start with ½ scoop daily for one week, then increase to 1 scoop daily with or without food or as directed by your healthcare practitioner. Mix into 16oz of cold water or liquid of your choice.
If using capsules: Age 2+: Start with three (3) capsules daily with or without food for one week, then increase to six (6) capsules daily with or without food as tolerated. Children under two years of age, please consult with your healthcare practitioner.
One (1) scoop daily with or without food or as directed by your healthcare practitioner. Mix into 16oz of cold water or liquid of your choice. MegaMucosa can be taken indefinitely at the above recommendation or at a maintenance dose of one (1) scoop weekly.
MegaPre and MegaMucosa can be mixed together for convenience. All three products, MegaSporeBiotic, MegaPre and MegaMucosa, in the Total Gut Restoration Trio are supplemented at the same time and duration. Consult with your healthcare practitioner for specificities based on individual needs.
Currently, clinical research and application supports that there are no real contraindications for the use of MegaSporeBiotic gut health supplements. However, this product is a powerful immune modulator. Individuals with weakened immune systems or other immune concerns may need to consult with a healthcare practitioner. Those with SIBO should be cautious with MegaPre as tolerance of oligosaccharides differs between individuals. MegaMucosa contains immunoglobulins derived from the serum of cows. Take caution if you are vegan or have an allergy to beef. If there is hesitation due to other major digestive issues, a consultation with a healthcare practitioner is warranted for education on proper dose protocol for all products in the Total Gut Restoration Trio.
For more information on each of these products: MegaSporeBiotic, MegaPre, MegaPre Capsules and MegaMucosa.
- Fritscher-Ravens A, et al. Confocal endomicroscopy shows food-associated changes in the intestinal mucosa of patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2014;147(5):1012-20.
- Dlugosz A, et al. Increased serum levels of lipopolysaccharide and anti-flagellin antibodies in patients with diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2015;27(12):1747-54.
- König J, et al. Human Intestinal Barrier Function in Health and Disease. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2016 Oct 20;7(10):e196. doi: 10.1038/ctg.2016.54.
- Jason VS. Burnett BP. Survival and digestibility of orally-administered immunoglobulin preparations containing IgG through the gastrointestinal tract in humans. Nutrition Journal. 2015;14:22.
- Faure M, Mettraux C, Moennoz D. Specific Amino Acids Increase Mucin Synthesis and Microbiota in Dextran Sulfate Sodium–Treated Rats. J Nutr. 2006;136(6):1558-64.
- Blatchford P, Stoklosinski H, Eady S, et all. Consumption of kiwifruit capsules increases Faecalibacterium prausnitzii abundance in functionally constipated individuals: a randomised controlled human trial. J Nutr Sci. 2017; 6: e52
- Everard A, Lazarevic V, Derrien M, et al. Responses of Gut Microbiota and Glucose and Lipid Metabolism to Prebiotics in Genetic Obese and Diet-Induced Leptin-Resistant Mice. Diabetes. 2011 Nov; 60(11): 2775–278.
- Yang J, Summanen PH, Henning SM, et al. Xylooligosaccharide supplementation alters gut bacteria in both healthy and prediabetic adults: a pilot study. Front Physiol. 2015; 6: 216.
- McFarlin BK, Henning AL, Bowman EM, Gary MA, Carbajal KM. Oral spore-based probiotic supplement was associated with reduced incidence of post-prandial dietary endotoxin, triglycerides, and disease risk biomarkers. World J Gastrointest Pathophysiol. 2017;8(3):117-126. doi:10.4291/wjgp.v8.i3.117
- Duysburgh C, Van den Abbeele P, Krishnan K, Bayne TF, Marzorati M. A synbiotic concept containing spore-forming Bacillus strains and a prebiotic fiber blend consistently enhanced metabolic activity by modulation of the gut microbiome in vitro. Int J Pharm X. 2019;1:100021. Published 2019 Jul 6. doi:10.1016/j.ijpx.2019.100021
- Campbell AW, Sinatra D, Zhang Z, et al. Efficacy of Spore Forming Bacilli Supplementation in Patients with Mild to Moderate Elevation of Triglycerides: A 12 week, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Trial. Integrative Medicine. 2020;19(2):18-23.
- Kho ZY, Lal SK. The Human Gut Microbiome – A Potential Controller of Wellness and Disease. Front Microbiol. 2018;9:1835. Published 2018 Aug 14. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2018.01835